Saturday, December 20, 2008

my holiday top 5

The holiday season is upon us and I thought I would post my Top 5 list of holiday things that make me tick and things that tick me off. So here goes:

things that make me tick
1. the feeling of community
2. gifts that are useful
3. well-done holiday parties (that's been awhile!)
4. playing games
5. getting things that I wanted but didn't know about (this happening is very rare indeed)


things that tick me off
1. the greedfest when everyone opens tons of gifts at the same time
2. computers that run out of space while I'm in the middle of designing my christmas cards
3. curmedgeons
4. ungrateful children
5. lawn ornament snow globes

I also hate those blow-up snowman and santas that sit like empty colored sacks on the lawn during the day. These are pure blight, but they still don't top the snow globes. We have a lot of these because people around here shop at Costco and Lowe's, where they are located, and I suppose they are somewhat affordable, but darn they make our neighborhood ghetto. Sometimes less is more. For some reason, we also have lots of icicles. Erik finally had to go out today and buy hooks to drill into the overhang so we could hang our lights. Since we live in a flat-roofed house with no eves and no gutters, hanging lights was pretty darn near impossible. I made an attempt to tape them up but I can't recommend this method, since they all fell down on the ground after one night, where they have been sitting for more than a week. But in my defense, I have been busy - and we've had a cold spell (yes, I know in the 20s isn't that bad for most of you, but I actually had to use my credit card on the windshield this week!). Well, I better get back to designing those Christmas cards which are now going to be New Year's cards. Have a great holiday!

1 comment:

Tamra said...

You are too funny. I am with you on the snow globes and other inflatable lawn ornaments. I am waiting for giant plastic nativities to be the rage. Mark put up Christmas light for the first time in our life and never quit finished the process, so not once, not even once did they get turned on this season. And now I will have them up til Easter. I will boycott all future outdoor decor unless I set it up on my porch myself.