Sunday, June 22, 2008

Summer update

So summer has finally begun. The end of the school year was a doozy. Last Thursday night I got myself voted Booster Club (PTA) president but I am essentially the queen of nothing unless I get it organized because we don't even have anybody to be treasurer. So that should be fun. On Friday I put on a movie matinee of Ratatouille, which the whole school was invited to and I was sweating bullets because I didn't know if we would have 40 kids or 400 and I had to arrange popcorn and do everything for it and I was afraid it would be just me and the principal with a bazillion kids, but it turned out OK. We had 60 kids and some parents stayed to help. I really have to get this school web site done so we can communicate! I learned to not give the kids too much water because the spills and potty breaks got crazy! Anyway, on Saturday we had Henry's 1st birthday party and the kids spent all day fighting like banshees so it was hard to get anything done. We just joined a swim club and had the party up at the pool. It was a cowboy pool party so we had a BBQ. But I wasn't as organized as I would have liked because of the aforementioned fighting and we forgot the meat, so Erik had to run home. Then I realized I had forgotten the Henry Trivia game that I had spent all morning on, but I didn't realize it until almost the end of the party. I spent another 20 minutes retrieving that from home and when I got back we were out of time, so we grabbed everything and headed to the parking lot where we served cupcakes and I posted the Henry Trivia game to the car. It was crazy but fun. Sunday was Father's Day so we went to Erik's parents. Monday we had a visit from a friend from Oregon, Mike Christenson. It was fun to see him and catch up, although my house was in quite a state by this time and I as mortified, but he was kind about it. This left me with one night to get Oliver's yearbook done that I had committed to do for his class because the next day was the last day of school, so it meant an all-nighter for me. I finally gave up wrestling with the printer and went to bed from 4:30 - 6:00 am and then got up to get them done and showed up at his classroom with one hour to spare and had the moms finish assembling them. It wasn't my finest work, but they got done. I actually felt OK that day and started getting the house back under control, but I paid the rest of the week and didn't feel good. I tried to nap this afternoon but just ended up getting mauled by Henry. We told Oliver and Lael we would pay them if they played with Henry while we took a nap but it didn't work. He kept coming in and bugging us and then he bit me and dropped a remote on my head so I am going to go to bed now instead of taking the time to make this blog grammatically perfect. Anyway, this week we're onto swim lessons, trips to the library, etc. My kids are both so manic. Within half an hour of getting up Thursday, Oliver declared "summer stinks!" because I informed him he could not turn on the TV until he had done a job, gotten dressed and eaten breakfast. But Friday afternoon after we went swimming, he declared this was "the second day of the best summer ever!" Anyway, here's hoping!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

My personal favorite bit from the Henry Trivia game:

"This Henry was made famous by a play by William Shakespeare of the same name."

Gil snaps her fingers and immediately shouts, "MacBeth!"

HAR HAR HAR! Oh, how I love my amazing wife!

ashley said...

Thanks so much for letting Mike come and hang at your house. He enjoyed catching up. I hope we can come to Wente and see you then!