Sunday, June 22, 2008

Two strikes against breastfeeding

Some of you may not yet know about my botched attempt at eye surgery. In December, just after Erik got hired on at Adobe, I decided to look into getting Lasik done. I figure if I'm ever going to do it, I might as well get to enjoy a decade without glasses. So I did my research online and chose Scott Hyver Visioncare. He is the 49ers eye doctor and has several offices in the area. So I went to see him and got the sad news that I would only qualify for PRK, which is like Lasik, but instead of cutting a flap and molding your eye, they mold the top layer, which means you have to regrow the top layer. This takes several days - at least one very painful one. Because I have a thinner than average cornea, I risked having my prescription slip after a year or 18 months with Lasik. The only option if that happens is to wear rigid contact lenses. The reason I don't wear contacts much right now is because my eyes are so dry so this would be horrible for me and wasn't worth the risk. But I was definitely bummed that I wasn't a Lasik candidate. I went ahead and scheduled the surgery for Memorial Day weekend, thinking that would be far enough away to handle things with Henry better, and I arranged for my Mom to come out and help since I wouldn't be able to drive for a few days. I asked about breastfeeding and they told me that wasn't a problem. We put aside the $4,000 in the flex spending account and I was locked in. So the date finally arrived, my mom was out here and I psyched myself up (which was actually really hard) and Erik drove me to the office. I paid my money and had my eye tests and asked the eye doctor if they could prescribe a different medication for after since the one I had didn't look like I should breastfeed with it. She said she would go check with Dr. Hyver and when she came back, she said I would have to reschedule because they had just changed procedures during the surgery a couple weeks ago and several of the drops they used would not be conducive to breastfeeding and they couldn't change back right then, so that was that. They refunded my money and I went home and actually had a fun Memorial Day weekend with my parents in San Francisco. Strike One.

Our latest saga is that Henry has eight teeth and half of them have cavities. The tops are just a rotting away every time I breastfeed him apparently. I took him in because he has a very obvious cavity in the front of one of his top teeth and they told me there are cavities all behind the front top teeth. I am supposed to brush his teeth in the middle of the night or whenever I feed him, which is pretty impossible to do, since one of the reasons we are in this predicament in the first place is because he resists the toothbrush. According to the dentist, since he is under 3 years old, he is "precooperative," a term which Erik apparently finds hilarious and has now used at least a dozen times since he heard it. So they are going to have to sedate him and are recommending four caps on his top four teeth. It is very sad. I am not sure whether to fight to have the cavities filled or not because at his age the chances are they will have to be capped anyway before they fall out. Poor kid has Oliver's teeth, I guess (Oliver got 5 caps at age 3) but in our defense, Lael has yet to have a cavitiy. At any rate, that is Strike Two.

Sadly, the root canal I got last year is failing and I am pretty sure I am going to have to have work done on it again. Between paying for Henry's dental bills, which will be extensive, getting me new glasses (since mine are four years old and I can hardly wait another minute), and another root canal, I'm thinking maybe we'll just put $2,000 into braces for Oliver (since he has an overbite and they are recommending early orthodontic care) and that will pretty much take care of the $4,000. If we do that I'm not sure I'm up for getting my eyes done next year. It was a lot harder to psych myself up for than I thought it would be and I don't know if I want to go through it again and I would have to have help come out again. It's only June and what a year we've already had!

4 comments:

Erik Swanson said...

"precooperative"! Conversely, does this make the elderly "postcooperative"?

Tamra said...

Your husband is funny. At what age do they stop being precooperative, cause I am still waiting on my 6,3 and 1 year old. Should any of them have outgrown it yet? I have always felt breast feeding was overrated, but yet we still torture ourselves in the name of "what's best." I also might add that some days kids are overrated. It is not that I don't love my kids, but with the economy going as it is, man my grocery bill to feed those kids is ugly, then there are those braces for my 8 year old, doctor visit for the bed wetting issues, entertainment so that the kids don't drive me crazy, and the list goes on. But I did luck out, at least my dentist will write off whatever amount the insurance does not pay. You should find a dentist that nice too, I highly recommend it. Good luck with Henry, I feel bad for him. I hope Sophee didn't inherit Mark's family's teeth after hearing your story. My other kids already have cavities galore, but nothing like Mark and his parents have gone through with their teeth.

Jenni said...

When does Henry turn 1??? I am trying to figure out how close in age he and Lee are.

It's scary that his teeth are getting cavities already. That reminds me, though, I really need to find a dentist for Ayanna.

Jennette said...

Precooperative...very funny and I'm going to have to use that one!

Bummer about the lasik. And who knew that breastfeeding could do that to a baby's teeth. Crazy! I see some large dentist bills on our horizon too. Yikes.