Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Which child will be the last straw poll



If you chose Oliver, this week you are correct! It started on Thursday when I got the call from Blacow Elementary saying he was out of lunch money and couldn't borrow any more this close to the end of the school year so I either had to bring money now or he would have to eat a cheese sandwich they would give him. This would have been fine with him - he hates that the principal makes them eat their veggies in the school lunch so he usually chooses to bring a sandwich, so I ran the money over.

That afternoon I took my parents to the airport. On Friday morning, he announced his final project, a report on snakes which he hadn't started, was due the day before. I recall seeing a paper about this about the time of my botched surgery (more on that in another blog) but there was so much going on I had forgotten about it. So we knew what we would be doing last weekend.

Sunday night we were at Erik's parents for dinner and he did his report. When we got home, we worked on the diorama that had to accompany the report and presentation. We painted on some trees but I didn't take the time to plastitak the plants and snakes in like we usually do. I got him up early Monday morning to finish the diorama so of course he was running late for school.

Around noon, I got a call from Blacow asking to come pick him up for personal reasons. (I dread getting calls from the school in the middle of the day.) As I was taking him home to get a change of pants, he says to me, "The stuff disappeared out of my diorama." I asked what he was talking about and he said it must have fallen out of the box when he ran into the school. There had been lots of recesses by this time and I thought the chances of him getting his stuff back were slim. The only option I could think of was to make an announcement over the PA system telling any kids who picked up plastic snakes or plants off the ground today to turn them into their teacher. But I said a prayer and took him back for the last hour of school and parked about where Erik usually drops him off. Sure enough, on the grass near a driveway outside the school was where everything dumped out. Then we had to get someone to let him into his classroom because he didn't want to get in trouble for having a handful of toys at recess. Anyway, the kid is going to do me in. Seriously. The only real question up for debate is whether Lael or Henry will beat him to it.

2 comments:

Tamra said...

Why don't we ever wet our pants unless our water breaks-I really don't get the whole wet your pants thing. I know my daughter has good medical reasons with a misshapen bladder and doesn't get the sensation that she needs to go, but so what. If I had that problem I would figure out how to time it I definatley wouldn't just wet myslef. So PLEASE someone help me unerstand this problem. I love that a cheese sandwhich wouldn't be a punishment for Oliver, that is funny. I love your blog.

stacey said...

I am loving your blog. Catching up with you has been great. I'm going to keep reading your's and tamra's blogs. Your lives sound as fun and fulfilling as mine.
Stacey Day (Osborn) JHS class of '93